jazimar's picture

Emotionally disturbed children

Parents of children who are emotionally disturbed are challenged to seek out services for their children. Early diagnosis and early intervention is critical. Most school systems have early educational programs for special needs children. Once a child is evaluated, the school system will invite parents to participate in the development of an individualized educational plan that is formulated to address your child's specific needs.
As a new member of the forum, I welcome all comments, and please feel free to ask questions. I look forward to getting to know everyone on this forum.

sar's picture

As a parent of a child with emotional issues, I just want to warn you of one IEP must. Do not have your child classified ED (emotionally disturbed). Rather, ask for the classification of HI (other health impaired).
A very honest school psychologist at my daughter's initial evaluation meeting explained to me that an ED classification frightens mainstream teachers and will follow your child like a bad rain cloud throughout your child's school years. HI allows some privacy, but will also get you all the services necessary for your child.