barnsdorff's picture

Accomodations disagreement

My daughter has ADHD and an IQ just above mild mental retardation.  In the past, she has been allowed test re-takes.  Only the re-take grade was recorded.

Now, In the fourth grade, the special ed teacher insists that the two grades should be averaged.  I think if she masters the skills, even with help, her grade should reflect that.

Before she got help, my daughter hated school.  She has made progress toward getting to grade-level.  The teachers say she works very hard and is well behaved.  She gets upset at any grade below a B. 

I'm really afraid that this new grading method will hurt my daughter's self-esteem and discourage her to the point of giving up.

When I asked the Special ed teacher via email whether this was negotiable her reply was 'no.'  I've already asked for an IEP meeting, but I'm afraid I won't get anywhere.

Can anyone offer advice?  Do you think I'm being unreasonable?

concerned mom's picture
concerned mom

As a mom of a child in spec ed, I feel for you. We're new to the process so we haven't had to deal w/ test taking yet. What I'd suggest is for you to ask for a sample test from the teacher (not the exact test, but material that will be covered on the test) and review it w/ your daughter at home. Do this in advance so she has more time to learn to material. I know w/ my son, repetition definitely helps. I also know a parent who's child struggles in spelling. His mother requested a shorter word list for him. This made it less overwhelming for her son, and w/ extra practice, he did well. Good luck!

ziggy's picture

It doesn't sound like you are being unreasonable. I work in a special needs class and your request would definitely be taken into consideration here.

If you feel the principal/admin are approachable, discuss the issue with them and state that you feel the teacher is not even considering your request or hearing your concerns. Another route might be to talk with school social workers or home/school liaisons.

When addressing these kinds of issues try to have at least one person you know will support you join the meeting - whether its the social worker or your spouse or a friend who knows your child well and will vouch for you. Especially when you're fearing a difficult meeting.