Sandraanne's picture
Sandraanne

Bill HR 5628 "Ban Corporal Punishment in Schools Act"

My son at the age of five was shown a three foot long wooden paddle by his Kindergarten teacher during his first week of school. To this date I have to home-school him because he is terrified of school and I would hope that all people would realize that all violence against a child should be against the law. When confronted by me his principal at the time told me and I quote that she had already used the wooden paddle to beat a child from his class and that if the teacher didn't get control of her classroom "she wouldn't get her test scores." (the teacher had brought the paddle to the reading carpet and threatened it's use on any child who didn't behave) For more information on this issue please visit thehittingstopshere.com My children and I have personally protested at the Texas state capital in Austin last month and are headed there again this month to gain community support and awareness of this issue. These insane paddle wielding educators must be stopped. It's no wonder that bullying is such a problem in schools these days, just take a look at the sick example their violent educators are role modeling for them.

SnglDad's picture
SnglDad

The teachers of both my children know that contacting me will get them more results than anything they can do to the kids at school. If my son came home scared because he was shown a paddle, I wouldn’t support, or encourage him to allow fear to paralyze him. My response would be “Then You better not get in trouble”.
The lack of discipline is the reason for the increase in bullying, not the presence of discipline. Also, current technology allows bullying to occur even outside of school with the use of facebook, and myspace. Kids who are bullied cannot go home and get away from the taunting and hurtful attacks.
I have taught my children from very early not to allow someone else’s words to dictate how they feel about themselves, or to cause them to act in a harsh or unreasonable manner. The words of a bully tell us more about them, than they do about their target. I do not support your bill or efforts.
Jails scare me; I do not commit crimes because I know I could end up in jail. Maybe jails should be banned because they cause fear.

Sandraanne's picture
Sandraanne

Then I guess big brother won't bother you either. No worries I'm sure the government will have plenty of positions open for people with your mentality but freedom; you will never know what that is.

SnglDad's picture
SnglDad

Big brother? Government has a place for me? Really Sandra? It sounds as if your paranoia has rubbed off on your son.

As for freedom, you keep your son home out of fear. If he does not get in trouble, he has no reason to be afraid.

Freedom is the right to choose our own actions, but we do not have the freedom to choose the consequences of our actions. With freedom comes responsibility.